Main Site Navigation Cross, Pennamped, Woolsey & Glazier, P.C.
Toll Free 800-461-7459
Local 317-669-9134

Indianapolis Family Law Blog

Matters related to children must be handled carefully

Everything that has to do with children must be handled very carefully. This is especially true in cases involving child custody and support. The thing that make these cases challenging is that both parents care for the children, but the ways that they want the child to be raised might vary greatly.

The thing to remember in these cases is that there are usually more than one way to handle situations involving children. Each step of raising a child requires decisions on the part of the parents. Where to send the child to school, whether to teach the child a religion or not and what type of immunizations to give a child are some of the more contentious decisions that must be made.

What reasons are eligible for child support modification?

Coming to an agreement on child support doesn't come easily for many parents. Some will be able to agree on a figure quite easily. Others will require a court order to have the child support issued. No matter how you arrived at your destination there are a handful of reasons why a child support order can be modified.

If the parent paying child support becomes unemployed, gets demoted, or has one's pay cut, the child support order can be modified. For most, this will be a temporary change to the order. The change can be issued permanently if the change in income is permanent. For example, if the parent paying child support is injured on the job and cannot return to work.

Reasons to request a change in child custody

Child custody arrangements are to be created with the best interests of the child in mind. Despite these efforts, many parents will focus on what is best for them at the time the agreement is created. These agreements can work well for a couple of months, sometimes even years, before any issues arise. Today, we will discuss the reasons why you might need to request a change in child custody.

One of the most common, and most awarded reasons to have your custody arrangement modified is because you believe that your child is in danger. The court will look at the possibility of domestic violence in the primary residence of the child's home, if the child has said he or she does not want to remain in the home, and if the danger to the child is immediate.

Discussions to have with your same-sex partner prior to marriage

If you are preparing to take a walk down the aisle in Indianapolis, you will want to make sure you have all your ducks in a row. Same-sex marriage has been recognized in Indiana since October of 2014. Same-sex couples should sit down and have a handful of different discussions with their soon-to-be spouses before they recite their vows.

Even though you are on cloud nine right now, you need to think about divorce. No soon-to-be married couple wants to think of divorce but it's a must, especially for same-sex couples. Getting married in Indiana is one thing. You might have trouble filing for a divorce in a state that does not recognize same-sex marriage. Just keep this in the back of your head.

Saving retirement from the throngs of divorce

Dealing with divorce brings on a lot of stress, worry and anger. Even if you knew this was inevitable, it can still be an emotional situation to work through in life. One of the biggest worries for people going through divorce is if it will destroy their retirement. This is a legitimate worry that will be addressed in today's post.

Even if you and your spouse decide to get divorced at a young age, your retirement will more than likely take a pretty big hit. Many people think that divorcing decades prior to retirement will save their retirement accounts from taking a hit. This cannot be further from the truth. In almost all instances the retirement accounts will likely be divided in half.

How is credit card debt handled in divorce?

Are you headed for divorce in Indiana? This is a difficult process to go through no matter how long you've been married. If there is debt involved in your marriage, you will definitely want to know ahead of time how this will be divided. So, how is credit card debt handled in divorce?

The most important thing you need to take a look at with credit card debt is the names on the accounts. If both your name and your spouse's name are on the account as co-signers, then both parties will be responsible for the debt incurred during the marriage. If only one person is named as a signer on the card and the spouse is just an authorized user, the only person who will be held responsible for the debt will be the signer.

Tips for modifying child support in Indiana

Coming to an agreement for child support can be a difficult task no matter how much you might be on the same page with the other parent. This is an emotional topic that can bring out the worst in people, especially since it typically involves the discussion of child custody as well. Here are some tips for modifying child support in Indiana.

One of the most important tips here is to act quickly if you cannot make child support payments. You don't want to get too far behind on payments before making filing for a modification. If your situation has changed, file for a modification as soon as you know you won't be able to make the current payments.

Explaining virtual visitation for child custody cases

A popular part of child custody cases that continues to be a major factor is virtual visitation. Virtual visitation has been around for quite some time, but it has really taken off over the past decade-plus with the invention of video conferencing software. This software can be found on computers, tablets and mobile phones.

For the most part, if you want virtual visitation as part of the child custody agreement, it will need to be added as a section or a clause. Putting this option into the agreement can make it easier for one of the parents to come to terms with the other for what is being asked.

Thousands of workers in Indiana vulnerable to discrimination

A report from the Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law claims that roughly 133,000 lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) workers in the state of Indiana are at risk for employment discrimination due to their gender identity or sexual orientation. The report said that just 36 percent of the workforce in Indiana is protected by the state's executive orders or nondiscrimination laws.

In a release from the authors of the report, it has been recommended that a law be created that covers the entire state of Indiana regarding discrimination based on gender identity and sexual orientation. The authors believe that a statewide law would help protect all the workers in the state, not just a group of workers.

Is your spouse hiding assets?

You don't know with absolute certainty what assets your spouse has. What you do know, as you work through your divorce, is that you thought the totals were higher than they appear. You're shocked by just how little he or she says that you're going to get.

Is your spouse hiding assets? It's important to know that people often do this, especially in high-asset divorce cases where only one spouse has been managing the finances during the marriage.